Monday, December 17, 2007


I got this set of questions from the Sew, Mama, Sew! Blog, where I indulge one of my other loves (fabric and sewing) in a very vicarious way, because I unfortunately don’t sew anymore. I thought it would be just as meaningful here, though.

1. Do you have a favorite gift that you love to give?
I love giving gifts that I have spent time and effort either making or planning for someone special. I absolutely hate giving generic gifts. I actually start collecting gifts early in the year and hide them away. (And I hope that the temptation to give them away early doesn’t get too strong)

2. If you’re making gifts this year, what are you making?
I am making lots of stuff. I’m making necklaces and pendants for my sister, my niece, and my step-mom; I’m making wobblebob keychains for tons of different people, I’m making a really cool pink bracelet for my sister-in-law, and I’m making lego magnets for my brother-in-law. (I hope none of them read my blog!)

3. Do you have any good stories about handcrafted gifts you’ve given or received?
I have received some of my best hand-made gifts from my mother-in-law, who is one of the most special people in my whole life. One of the first and most important handcrafted gifts that she ever gave me was my Christmas stocking. I remember that morning (I must have been about 17 years old) and I had felt very left out the year before when I didn’t have a stocking to open on Christmas morning, as that is a huge tradition at my Husbands house (yes, I have been with him FOREVER). When she handed me my beautiful, hand-knit stocking, filled with all the treats, it brought tears to my eyes.

Another gift that meant the world to me from my mother-in-law was my “grown-up” purse, which she made for me specifically to take on interviews when I was looking for a new job.

I can’t believe I almost forgot about the Advent Calendar, made by…you guessed it… my mother-in-law. She made 4 calendars, one for each of us girls (myself and my husbands two sisters – they are twins) and one for herself. The calendar itself is about 3 feet by 4 feet and it is a log cabin pattern quilt wall hanging. Mine is made of all batik fabrics (I love batiks), and then there are 25 little tiny ornaments that get tied on each day in December. It is so much fun.

4. Do you have any great gift compilation ideas?
Not really… This isn’t my forte!

5. Name one thing on your personal wish list.
A happy 2008

6. Do you make and sell things that would make fantastic gifts?
Absolutely! Not only do I make and sell chainmaille jewelry, I make fabric origami boxes, and I make and teach classes in hand-made lotions.

7. What is your favorite family holiday tradition?
Christmas morning, definitely! First, we have to get to mom and dad’s house (his, not mine) and open presents – so many presents – and then there is the wonderful eggs benedict breakfast with our Aunt and Uncle and cousins. It is such a wonderful time.

8. Have you started any new traditions with your family that you didn’t practice growing up?
We used to try to cram all of our holiday visits into Christmas day, but the year I was pregnant, I put my foot down and said, no more. So we have made a tradition of spending Boxing Day (December 26th) with my Dad, my step-mom and my step-brother.

I would like to start some new traditions with my family moving forward. It is something that is becoming more important to me. I just don’t know exactly what yet. I’ll get there.

9. What do you love most about the holiday season?
I love the sense of family. I love that my sister comes home from California with my niece and I get to see them. I like knowing that I have people around me to love and who love me back. And for the last several years, I have loved watching my little girl get into the holiday spirit, all full of Santa and Rudolph and the magic of the season.

10. What do you like least about the holiday season?
Too much Christmas Music, shopping at the mall, and no parking anywhere!!!

11. Anyone close to your heart that you’ll be missing this year?
I miss My Grammy. Last Christmas was hard because she got sick right at Thanksgiving, and was in the last stages of dying right around Christmas. This Christmas, she just won’t be here at all. I love her so much.

I’m also going to miss my mom. We have had a falling out, and aren’t talking right now, and it is hard to know that for the first time ever, I won’t get to spend Christmas with my mom.

12. What is your favorite holiday food?
I’m not sure it is really a holiday food, but I always look forward to eggs benedict on Christmas morning. The Stalin (German Christmas bread) is pretty good too!

13. Do you have a great recipe to share?
I’ll look and get back to you soon!

Thanks for reading along with me, and here's wishing you a Happy Handmade Holiday.

No comments: