Friday, April 18, 2008

Sushi, Sushi Everywhere, but not a Roll to Eat!

My crafty mother-in-law, Kristine, struck gold again last weekend. When we went over on Sunday morning, there was a small pile of strips of felt, and I was intrigued. She gleefully informed me that the strips were to become felt sushi! Even better, she had stopped by Fusion beads and we had "roe" to add to the top of some of the rolls.

While I worked on the earrings I had to finish, Kristine and my daughter worked on cutting strips of felt, rolling them into tight rolls, and stitching the rolls closed. There was red for tuna, orange for salmon, yellow for yellowtail or radish, green for wasabi and avocado, white for rice, and black for nori. They stayed busy for hours.

The whipped cream and cherry on this whole project was the roe that Kristine sewed to the top of two of the sushi pieces. It was a wonderful project. The inspiration came from an article printed in The Seattle Times on Monday, April 7th.



2 comments:

katy said...

these are DARLING!

' said...

So cute! I bet my son would enjoy making those as well. Thanks for such a great idea!